Low Fantasy | Action | Suspense

STYLE
Narrative

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1) General Info
2) Story
3) Characters
4) Extra
(Subplots, Locations, Announcements, & Miscellaneous)

Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Out of Character Thread Empty Re: Out of Character Thread

Post by Snowman Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
It started with a storm.

For centuries, the country of Rināran has been under sovereign rule. The monarchs would call upon the five clans situated around the huge territory, each taking a compass point, for their help. To the East lay the Azure Dragon Clan; the South the Vermillion Bird Clan; West the White Tiger; North the Black Tortoise; and lastly at the center stood the Yellow Dragon Clan. In time to come, the monarchy would dissolve and the clan heads would form a council and step up as rulers of Rināran (some say the clans had planned this).

However, the clans were only in relative harmony due to the respective guardian spirits. Living tensely in peace, the will of the guardian spirits the only thing keeping the clan from an all out war, it was only a matter of time before one became too greedy. The culprit? The then head-to-be of the Azure Dragon Clan.

The Great War — a war which lasted 1000 years. It tore the country apart and upset the balance of power. At the end of it, nearly all the clans had been torn apart. Rināran no longer held its former glory. The Yellow Dragon clan stepped up to the mantle of ruling Rināran, and the Azure Dragon clan, once almighty, was left in shambles.

It has been twenty years since. Rināran is still being rebuilt, but it is slowly prospering. Yet, the desire for power and revenge has not once abated. The disposed clans will return. They have not forgotten their grudge against the clan which orchestrated it all.

Qīnglóng — Seiryū — Cheonglong; (The Azure Dragon, representing Spring and Wood) to the East
Zhūquè — Suzaku — Zuzak; (The Vermillion Bird, representing Summer and Fire) to the South
Báihǔ — Byakko — Baekho; (The White Tiger, representing Autumn and Metal) to the West
Xuánwǔ — Genbu — Hyeonmu; (The Black Tortoise, representing Winter and Water) to the North
Huánglóng — Kōryū or Ōryū — Huanglong; (The Yellow Dragon, representing the Changing Seasons and Earth) to the Center

THE INDIVIDUAL ROLES
The Azure Dragon Clan:
The Vermillion Bird Clan:
The Black Tortoise Clan:
The White Tiger Clan:
The Yellow Dragon Clan:
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:34 am

CHARACTER POSITIONS
CHARACTER SKELETON
Azure Dragon:
Vermillion Bird:
Black Tortoise:
White Tiger:
Yellow Dragon:
Commonfolk:
Ambra:
UPPER ECHELON
Spirits | Heads | Vice-Heads | Descendants | Bodyguards

Code:
Appearance (anime only)
Name
Alias/Nicknames
Position
Personality (Trait/List/Paragraphs)
Power (See Extra section)
Other
Affiliations

LOWER ECHELON
Everyone Else

Code:
Appearance (anime only)
Name
Alias/Nicknames
Position
Occupation (If they have one)
Personality (Trait/List/Paragraphs)
Other
Affiliations

Last edited by Snowman on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:41 pm

[tabs][tab=Subplots]It appears that there is someone out to kill the last remaining member of the Azure Dragon main family. Is the assassin from the Azure Dragon second branch family or the Yellow Dragon clan?

Rumours of a re-emergence for the White Tiger clan are being whispered about in the remaining regions; rumours that concern an individual said to be terribly bloodthirsty and vengeful, even more so than past Heads. They say that this new Head has found righteousness, morality grounded in the maintenance of life and the passing into death... but is their righteousness really right? And even if it is... why aren't any of the other clan fragments speaking up against this abrupt claim to leadership?
Credits to @ChiaRoseKuro

There have been mentions that people are conspiring to murder the Black Tortoise Head. It does not help that certain members of the Yellow Dragon have been getting fairly involved with the Tortoise’s matters. Oh? And what’s this about forbidden magic being mentioned?

Speaking of the Black Tortoise Head’s inadequacy, though, it seems like there’s two different agendas emerging in regards to the deposition of the incumbent Head. But when one group wants him dead and the other wants everyone else along with him dead… what’s to be done? And more importantly, who will prevail in this seemingly internal battle?
Wording credited to @Shironix

The Vermillion Bird clan lacks the blessing of its own Guardian Spirit. The current matriarch holds little power. But what’s this? It appears the Spirit has elected someone else as the next Head of the clan, and it is not the Priest’s daughter. It is not even someone from inside the clan.

The sole survivor of the Azure Dragon's main family has descended to shadowy deals through their connections with... ambiguous individuals.
Wording credited to @ChiaRoseKuro

Vermillion Bird has lacked its second branch family ever since the war ended and, though nobody has really heard of them since, their presence is still lingering within Rināran’s depths. Rumours have begun to make their way to everyone’s ears; rumours that speak of an uprising to depose the current family and the priesthood. Whether these rumours are groundless or not remains to be seen, though…
Wording credited to @ChiaRoseKuro

[/tab][tab=Locations]

CLAN TERRITORY
Azure Dragon:
Vermillion Bird:
Black Tortoise:
White Tiger:
Yellow Dragon:

OTHER AREAS
(Clans do not and cannot own it as territory)
Marketplace:
Commonfolk Area:
Landscape:
Shrines:
Ambra:
[/tab][tab=Announcements]All timings will be done in GMT+8

OOC OPENS — 1/1/17
PROFILE OPENS — 1/1/17
IC OPENS — ???

1/1/17The Miscellaneous section has very important notes you must read; some are related to how the roleplay will be run. Anyone who has held a previous Head or Vice-Head position must get back to me on whether you want it or not within 48 hours, or I will deem it open to everyone else.[/tab][tab=Miscellaneous]CLAN DISTINGUISHERS
To ensure that each clan can clearly identify their own and their hierarchy within their ranks, every member is required to own a hairpin or tassel, depending on their gender and status, and display it upon their person at all times. The rules regarding these are so stringent that anyone found with an inappropriately elaborate hairpin or tassel will face severe punishments (including, but not limited to, public humiliation, demotions and executions) and regulations regarding length, condition and sheen are not to be taken lightly.

Clans are differentiated from one another by their colours; ranks, by the elaborateness of their distinguisher’s designs. Apart from the coloured bead which symbolises their clan, members are more than welcome to fashion their own tassels or hairpins-- so long as they’re socially appropriate.

However, considering the state of some clans, it can be said that the regulations are no longer enforced so strictly though some still keep to the rules out of pride or loyalty.

POWERS
A) Spirits get one power; however, make sure it’s vague as it’s supposed to be diverse and versatile. Heads get two powers if they are bonded with the spirits-- one from their Spirit’s blessing, and the other from the manifestation of the Spirit’s power. Vice-heads get one power. Direct descendants may get one power if the Spirit decides to bless the family as well and the same applies to Bodyguards but, as this is up to the discretion of the Spirit in question, plot with their maker if you desire a power. If no one has taken a Spirit position, assume that the descendants and bodyguards do not have a power. All of these with the exception of the Head is limited to the main family only.

Powers must be related to the respective clan’s element and may not be overpowered; furthermore, powers cannot be dispensed without some sort of penalty to dissuade its frequent usage. Refer to the individual clans for its element and the moderator/co-moderator for penalty ideas, should you have any queries regarding this.

B) As you can see above, power granted by the Spirits are through blessings. In the same vein, one can also gain power through curses. Which is also what people call "forbidden magic". The granters of this are called "The Four Heavenly Kings": Bishamon-ten of the North, Zouchou-ten of the South, Jikoku-ten of the East, and Koumoku-ten of the West. Respectively, their followers are: yaksas, kumbhāṇḍas, gandharvas, and nāgas. Though once benevolent, the Kings were corrupted more than a millennium ago.

Powers gained by blessings already strain the body to begin with, and it is even worse when gained by curses. One has to sacrifice something before they can use the cursed power. It may not seem much at first, but the cost adds up and will eventually kill you. What the price is each time you use the cursed power depends based on the severity of the power.

People who use forbidden magic are almost always killed once found out as they are deemed those who will bring destruction. And desiring too much power as a common person is looked down upon. Even the cursed magic has its limitations however— according to what the Kings rule over.

Of the North: Rain (thus, water magic is what is granted)
Of the South: Wind (thus, air magic is what is granted)
Of the East: Music (thus, the ability to manipulate music is what is granted)
Of the West: One who sees all (thus, clairvoyance is what is granted)

Additionally, one may only gain the ability of one cursed power, otherwise the strain even when receiving the power will kill. Even without using the cursed power, the strain of having receiving it the tainted way will whittle away at your life.

SPIRITS
Spirits were once impartial to the clans as a whole despite being guardians, but that has changed as time passed. However, even now, Spirits may not extend their power to the point the balance of power tips in their clan's favour. Spirits also do not hold a true body but can possess one. Their physical body is not exclusive to humans. However, due to the possible conflict between souls, most Spirits prefer their chosen body be freshly dead.

THE SANDBOX
Here, I will explain how the roleplay will be ran. As stated before, this is a sandbox RP meaning I will leave the plot, subplots, and even characters to be as free as possible. What does this mean?

You kick each other out of the sandbox like kids so you can run the plot.

Just kidding.

It is very simple: I will not be forcing the plot a certain way. What I have done so far is merely the setup of the current setting. The actions of your characters, the plot important arcs (which you can construct without consulting me or Shiro unless you want/need help) and decisions, the deaths, etc. will all decide how the plot goes. Maybe, the Yellow Dragon clan never gets dethroned and stomps over all the clans. Or the clans all band together to rule as overlords over Rināran, somehow. Whatever it is, and it can be anything, lies in your hands. That's just for the general overarching plot.

What about subplots? You, if your character is part of it, can decide how to run it. You can also create your own subplots (and no, you do not have to tell me). Speaking about subplots though, I do need someone to volunteer their character as the Vermillion Bird's chosen one, or perhaps the Guardian Spirit wants to choose it themself, which I am fine with.

And now, characters. You may notice that certain families in the Character section do not come with spots. This does not mean there are no spots. Take for example Azure Dragon's First Branch Family: they're scattered all over the country and do not keep in contact with anyone but the heir. And there are no spots. But you can make a character under that family and not tell me (but do tell the heir because they have a relation there). So what does this mean? You may make a character for any existing family (Vermillion Bird's second branch family is wiped out though) even if there are no positions listed, and not inform me. The stipulation is that if there is a relation to someone else in the descriptor, you must inform that person, and the position you would want to take in this case is under the Commonfolk category.

Even more information about characters! The kind of secret characters you may make are not just limited to the families. You could make an illegitimate child of some Head to add even more conflict, and more, be creative. This also means you can make, say, a messenger of a certain Spirit who has gone into hiding. Once again, if your character has a specific relation(ship) to someone, you have to inform the character's maker.

You can also make secret characters who are godly beings, but they must come from oriental folklore/mythology. And they need a strong reason for appearing in the RP.

Arcs. Earlier, I said something about constructing plot important/relevant arcs. Yes, you may do that and once again, do it without consulting me. The flow of the roleplay will be shaped by your characters. You may also construct character (development) relevant arcs and keep it private (aka to only a few characters) if you so desire. I do highly suggest discussing arcs with people if their character happens to be an important piece in it to prevent any unhappiness, however. Unless they have said beforehand their characters are free game.

Wow all this sounds so complicated! Don't worry, just take your time to warm up to it. Just think of it as all of us are game masters of TSFH and we can fuck up the entire country if our characters' actions lead to it. And that's a-okay even if you may not want that. Do note that consequences will come with actions though.

And last but not least, the in-character thread. Or threads. I will be making two IC threads first and will increase it to one more if there is a need to. This is to ensure the roleplay flows better and easier instead of keeping everyone locked down into a thread. For example, Thread 1 has a festival going on but your character wouldn't attend it and you want to RP them. So you can use Thread 2 instead to RP your character.

Furthermore, your character does not have to stay permanently in one thread. To make things easier for everyone, please use the usual Location and With tags in your IC post. The locations are not fixed in a thread (so in Thread 1, Character A can be in White Tiger's territory, and Character B and C can be at the Marketplace). Unless there is a specific event going on within that thread (like a festival or a kidnapping and you're trying to find the kidnapped), then the location will be fixed.

Don't hesitate to spring a surprise event or arc on people, by the way. Oh, and please don't add a power section to your character if they utilise curse magic.

Bottom line is, I am not here to police the RP (too much). And the only reason I'm giving you guys this much free reign is because I trust you guys.
[/tab][/tabs]

Last edited by Snowman on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:45 pm

you may now post

idec about prettiyifnh this
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by reisye Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:47 pm

YoOOOoOoOo
also laughs @ everyone
//throws confetti bless this rp omg

Last edited by reisye on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
reisye
reisye
First Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:47 pm

im so tird from coding
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by reisye Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:49 pm

pats you
rest, my child bc coding is backbreaking
reisye
reisye
First Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiaRoseKuro Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:52 pm

You mean fingerbreaking, right ;DD
ChiaRoseKuro
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

http://chiatestscodes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:54 pm

my fingers are borked

like how my code borks sometimes
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Announcement
The miscellaneous tab has been updated! But to make everyone's life easier, I'll just state the change here: You can make godly beings as secret characters, but they must be from oriental folklore/mythology, and their reason for appearing in the IC has to make sense. So no willy-nilly "I want a god for utterly no reason!"

Last edited by Snowman on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiaRoseKuro Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:38 pm

//stares at announcement
It's like you're inviting me to drown myself in Oriental folklore just to get a god. Oreo why //smacked
ChiaRoseKuro
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:12 pm

What if I am? ;D
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiaRoseKuro Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:04 am

I would not be surprised, but at the same time-

really
ChiaRoseKuro
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:44 am

LOL no, not really. It was just something I realised would make better sense after considering certain things in bed.
Snowman
Snowman
Third Ring of Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiaRoseKuro Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:28 am

Certain things in bed, eh //waggles eyebrows

I'd better get onto finishing those profiles before summer school starts up again then orz
ChiaRoseKuro
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowman Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Indeed ;]

(owo)b
Though my reply comes rather belated orz
Snowman
Snowman