Sin City

[ OOC ] Information Helpline

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[ OOC ] Information Helpline

Post by ChiaRoseKuro on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:25 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]FAQs
Although I've come to realization that my frequently asked questions are, in fact, not frequently asked, there will still be some things that may prove useful in the future. As such, I will try and preempt any future questions I may get by compiling a list of them from the original RP and from contemplation in the late hours of the morning. Insomnia is a beautiful, wonderful thing (not).

Should you have any further questions that have not been answered here, simply drop a post and I'll get along to answering it as soon as possible!

[tabs][tab=Generic]
Since I'm fairly certain that we have no need for inactivity reminders, post reservations and all that jazz, this will probably stay blank until someone brings up a question that fits into this category. Anything that has nothing to do with Ascension's domain, and could be applied to any old RP, will go here (when they emerge).
[/tab][tab=Mechanics]
All questions listed here will have something to do with the, well, mechanics of Ascension; specifically, the things that us omnipotent (or relatively omnipotent) roleplayers may require outside of character-specific and location-specific things. This will include pointers on creating or running floors and understanding the terminology attached to it, for the most part.

How do I become a GM?
:
A solid floor plan is all I need, since I trust everyone to stay active and engaged. More information will be given in the application forms on the next post; if that is not sufficient, then contact me through Skype or a PM.

Can we offer a floor but NOT run it?
:
Yes! You will still need to fill out the application form, but you can specify that you would not like to take charge of it; just make sure that whoever takes charge of it knows enough to not botch up the floor.

Do I need to randomize everything?
:
For the sake of fairness, yes. Chances are, there is a reason why things need to be randomized, so just go with it if that is what's required. Even if you do end up trying to play things out, though, the GMs won't tell you what the results are for and how they'll impact your character, so at least it'll reduce unfairness either way.

Don't GMs have an edge over members?
:
I can't speak for other people, but I would never give my character knowledge that they aren't supposed to possess. I suppose you will just have to trust that the presiding GM won't be abusing their powers- but if they do, know that I will never allow them to run another floor again.
[/tab][tab=Characters]
All questions listed here will concern your characters; questions may range from specific things like their age or power to broader things, like where they fit in the grand scheme of things. Although some answers will not get a straightforward answer, I'll do my best to cater for all of them!

What enhancements would be considered 'OP'?
:
If your character's power prevents their death (e.g. immortality or unlimited regeneration), it is considered too OP; same goes with unlimited telepathy or nullification, which circumvent any advantage other opponents may have over your character's. Basically, you can have whatever you want- so long as there's a flaw and they will not come out on top all the time.

How old are our characters supposed to be?
:
So long as they're not prepubescent kids or old enough to be grandparents, anything goes!

Does my character have to be human?
:
Initially, yes; there are no naturally-occurring fantasy characters in Acension's 'verse. However, enhancements that grant inhuman characteristics (like the ability to shapeshift into an animal) are perfectly fine- so long as they weren't an animal to begin with.

What will happen if my character dies?
:
If your character has the capacity or sufficient means of payment, they can heal their wounds... but in the case where wounds cannot be healed or they die, I will negotiate with the roleplayer responsible for the character. Ordinarily, though, another character will be brought in, or the roleplayer will choose to phase out completely.

Can I swap out a character for another one?
:
Unfortunately, no; if they do not leave in a bodybag then they do not leave at all.
[/tab][tab=Locations]
All questions listed here will regard the layout of the 'verse; this will range from the floors' appearances to the specifics of the world itself, and anything in between. Like the character questions, some may not get a straightforward answer, but I will try my best to answer them all!

Is the floor's appearance important?
:
In some cases, yes; in others, not so much. In the cases where the location's specifics are imperative for completing the floor, I will ask the presiding GM to provide a rough guide or map. However, if the location is deliberately withheld or is not deemed important, we will all have to work blind.

What type of world do the characters live in?
:
It's very much like the one we currently live in, except for two key differences: technology has progressed enough to create functional holograms and construct the facility, and unethical human experimentation is both rife and approved by the government. The facility has also been augmented to seem larger on the inside than on the outside, and can mess with people's temporal and spatial perception.

Are test subjects the only ones in the facility?
:
Not at all! Permanent residents include the scientists and temporary ones include sponsors responsible for funding the characters' modification, but further information will have to be withheld for the time being.
[/tab][tab=Misc. Terms]
Rather than formatting this in a Q&A style, I will simply list each unfamiliar term and include its definition. Please note that most of these terms will be pulled from Dungeons and Dragons or SIU's Tower of God, so familiarizing yourself with the basics of both may prove worthwhile. Still, if you'd rather not do that, I'll do my best to explain everything as thoroughly as possible here!

Facility
:
The underground location where Ascension takes place; think of it as an inverted tower, if you will. The characters' ultimate aim is to progress through all floors and reach the top, where they will be given the chance to live a normal life.

(based on Tower of God's 'tower')

Floor
:
The levels within the facility, specially constructed to test each GM individual's growth and record any changes. Often governed by a Guardian, they are configured to suit the Guardian's tastes while providing the activities necessary for testing their worth.

(based on Tower of God's 'floor')

Guardian
:
The individuals responsible for the management of the floors; rumours say that these were failed candidates for GM individuals, but one might believe otherwise when faced with their almost god-like powers. They configure their floor, set challenges to test subjects' worth and, in special circumstances, grant privileges to the worthy through contracts.

(based on Tower of God's 'guardian')

Contract
:
Another name for personalized challenges, these are set by the presiding Guardian for members they deem worthy of gaining privileges. Some, such as size compression, do not require anything more than the courage to ask a Guardian, whilst others like increased power will require the completion of a challenge, often harsh and near-impossible.

(based on Tower of God's 'contract' and 'tests for Irregulars')

Challenge
:
Activities given by Guardians to test individuals' worth, especially in regards to advancing upwards. They may encompass anything, from fights to the death and other melee-related tasks to puzzle-solving or treasure-hunting. In exceptional circumstances, challenges may be halted or even substituted for another, but for the most part the rules and the challenge itself will stay the same.

(based on Tower of God's 'test')

Reward
:
Positive outcomes gained from challenges, these are rewarded infrequently and only to exceptional individuals (e.g. those who finish a challenge first). Rewards can encompass anything from an increase in one's stats to the acquisition of special items or privileges.

(unique to Ascension)

Class
:
Offensive, defensive or neutral attribute sets bestowed upon individuals, often upon passing the first floor. Granted by the first floor's Guardian upon rigorous assessment, they are tailored to suit each individual's needs as closely as possible, from granting the usage of unique items to possessing unique talents, or even powers. More information will be provided for each class upon their distribution.

(based on Dungeons and Dragons 'class' and Tower of God's 'position')

GM Individuals
:
Every playable character; in full, it is read as 'Genetically Modified Individuals' and means exactly what it says. Other terms, such as 'subjects' or 'participants', may be used in lieu of the official term. More about these individuals will be revealed as the roleplay progresses.

(based on Tower of God's 'Regulars')

[/tab][/tabs]

Last edited by ChiaRoseKuro on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:02 am; edited 12 times in total
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

View user profile http://chiatestscodes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: [ OOC ] Information Helpline

Post by ChiaRoseKuro on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:16 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Application Forms
For those who have seen the GM questions under the Mechanics tab and have had their curiosity piqued, or for those who were in the original RP and are interested in creating their own floors, these application forms will help you in ensuring your floor is approved and integrated as painlessly as possible. There will be two forms to choose from; one for those who want to run their floor, and one for those who only wish to offer a floor idea. Please ensure that you read everything carefully before submitting your application!

[tabs][tab=GM Floor]
All mandatory information will be marked with asterisks. Please note that some categories will be free-response ones and that, the more detailed you are, the more I will be able to judge whether your floor is feasible and/or suitable (but don't reveal all your cards, seeing as we don't want to infer anything that you'd like to keep a secret!).

The Form
:
*Floor Concept
What is the base idea behind your floor? This could be anything from objects (such as cards and dice, as per Floor 02) to categorical things (such as constellations, as per Floor 01) or even fandoms (such as Tower of God, which is what this entire thing is based on). Keep this confined to a word or a short phrase, if possible.

*Floor Attribute
Is your floor going to dole out punishments, rewards or both? There are three attributes possible: Plus (+), for a rewards-only floor; Neutral (o), for a floor that doles out rewards and punishments; and Minus (-), for a punishments-only floor. Please note that, regardless of which floor attribute you choose, not everyone will necessarily receive a reward or a punishment, depending on which is applicable.

*Floor Design
This is where you go into as much detail as you'd like about the mechanisms of your floor; this may include aspects like the number of stages you propose to hold, a basic rundown of how they should progress, which sorts of rewards/punishments are included and so on, so forth. Do note that it needs to have a solid beginning, middle and end, and that it doesn't promise to be a floor that drags itself out indefinitely, provides bias to one particular character or presume anything too explicitly about the characters' plot (unless you have discussed this with me beforehand and I allow you to use the lore I have constructed thus far). You do not need everything finalized (in fact, so long as you have a basic skeleton of an idea, I'll probably give it the green light) but I expect to see some thought being put into it, enough so that I can have some peace of mind in giving you free reign over it.

Other
If there's other details that you'd like to include but which have been left out, put it here. For instance, if you have a preference for where this floor should be positioned in its order, write it here.

Example
For the purposes of this example, I will be using the original (and now scrapped) Floor 0.

:
Floor Concept
Time / Clocks

Floor Attribute
Neutral (o)

Floor Design
The floor is arranged like a clock with concentric rings; the outer ring (where one number per subject, for a total of 12 numbers and subjects, are laid), the inner ring (which is divided by opaque partitions into quarters at 12, 3, 6 and 9), and the central core (a spherical void with floating discs, one for each remaining subject). Each stage takes place on a ring, starting from the outermost and working their way in, but ideally the floor should be complete at the first stage. Ultimately, the goal is to have one surviving team of four members, of which each member possesses a different number (this number is distinct from the number bestowed upon the subject, which is what determines their position in the outer ring).

The outer ring, as mentioned before, is much like a clock face with the middle blocked off. After receiving a number between 1 to 4 [note that I wouldn't say how I'd give these numbers out; I'd rather not let people secretly plan in advance if I said 'I would ask roleplayers directly for a number via picking'. In fact, I may not even list this if I didn't want people guessing I'd ask and plan ahead anyway], subjects will pick a direction to go, or choose to stay put [again, I wouldn't say how directions would be picked; otherwise, telling people that any number they pick between 1 and 10, which is either a multiple of 2 (left) or a multiple of 3 (right) or both (they pick a direction themselves) or neither (they stay put), will determine their direction is obviously going to rig things]. Through this manner, subjects will meet other subjects, but subjects may not directly speak of their chosen number (and not their assigned subject number) to other subjects. By eliminating or avoiding other subjects of the same number, subjects will gather other subjects until there is the aforementioned group of four, upon which the winners (i.e. said group) would be rewarded and the most unsuitable subjects (i.e. those who not only failed to form a group, but who either sabotaged their own efforts or snatched defeat from the jaws of victory) would be punished. No rewards or punishments would go to losing subjects who either posted a non-attempt or failed, despite their best efforts.

To ensure that the floor is completed as quickly and smoothly as possible, incentives such as the second hand (i.e. a supercharged laser which killed subjects upon contact, which was eventually utilized to kill inactive subjects) could be introduced. Upon unsatisfactory or drawn-out results, the secondary and tertiary stages would be brought in; the inner ring, to force surviving subjects to fight amongst themselves and thereby achieve results through physical confrontation, or in the central core, to force those surviving subjects to peacefully form a team and thereby avoid any further casualties, intentional or not. [It is entirely up to you if you would proceed to talk about these fail-safe stages, considering that they may never be played out if we all post frequently enough or if all previous criteria for the floor's stage is met, but that would be up to you to decide. For the sake of sleeping before tomorrow, I have chosen not to elaborate.]

[You could also choose to talk about the guardian you'd like to bring in, whether breaks would be included in between challenges (if there is more than one challenge) and other such details. Again, for the sake of sleeping before tomorrow, I have chosen not to include them. Also, I think everyone's eyes have glazed over enough from my example, so I will stop here.]

Other
[Had I not been making an example, I would've left this part out altogether.]
[/tab][tab=Non-GM Floor]
The information in this tab will be an add-on to the 'GM Floor' tab, so please do ensure that you've read that first before perusing this one! Like the previous form, categories marked with an asterisk are required and, the more detailed you are, the better it will be for us (especially if we are going to take over the floor on your behalf). Note that all additional categories in the form should be placed after all but the 'other' tag in the GM Floor form.

For the sake of keeping this short and sweet (sorta, anyway), I won't be providing an example. It should be pretty self-explanatory anyway... hopefully.

The Form
:
*Owner
Who would you like as the moderator of your floor? You do not necessarily have to name just one other roleplayer; in fact, you could say that you have no preference at all and that anyone who's interested in the floor is welcome to moderate it. Just ensure that you have at least one viable candidate (e.g. you could put my name, or two other roleplayers' names, or just everyone).

*Moderation Details
DO NOT PUT THIS CATEGORY IN YOUR FORM. Instead, when someone has adopted your floor, please ensure that you send everything you intend to put in this category to them, either in a PM on this site or through other private means. Note that, the more detail you give about how you envision the floor to be run, the more accurately your chosen moderator (or just the moderator who has adopted the floor) will be able to conform it to your request(s). However, please ensure that you, as well as the moderator, do not bias your characters through the knowledge you will undoubtedly share between yourselves.
[/tab][tab=List of Floors]
Approved Floors
Floor 01 :: Constellations / Star Signs :: ChiaRoseKuro
Floor 02 :: Dice / Cards / Fate :: ChiaRoseKuro

Floors Pending Approval
Floor -- :: concept :: username
[/tab][/tabs]

Last edited by ChiaRoseKuro on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 am; edited 7 times in total
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiaRoseKuro on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Event Log
For running commentary on the IC, when it becomes applicable.
ChiaRoseKuro
Sin City Underlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top